Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Podcasts

My child has learnt how to podcast in her primary school - time to catch up!

I've listened to podcasts several times in the past and found them a really easy concept to understand. As there is so much on offer these days in the media, and so little time to browse all of them, I guess podcasting is a great tool for filtering the material if you know what you are looking for in the first place.

Some people suggested in their blogs that this would be a usefull tool for author talks. However, I am a little ambivalent about this. Some things should stay face to face and an author talk in the library should stay just that - a talk in the library.

On the other hand, I see podcasts as a great training tool - to save time and repetition, especially in larger libraries. It could be a great marketing tool - there are so many events that could be promoted this way. We just need to know our target market. Borrowers are different even in areas that are geographically close.

Podcasts will be great for distance learning of any sort.

2 comments:

pls@slnsw said...

Wow - just as well the rest of us are learning about podcasts!

I think podcasts for author talks can work - as not everyone can come to the library and hear the author when they are visiting (the time may not suit or the venue may not be big enough for everyone who wants to hear the author). The author talks should also stay 'live' in the library.

Podcasts have almost endless possibilies which is great.

Ellen (PLS)

Podcast Coach said...

Come by my site and let me help you! I run the School of Podcasting. We have tutorials and live training sessions, and it won't break the bank to learn how (not to mention I will explain it in plain English - no geek speak).

Dave Jackson
www.schoolofpodcasting.com